If I had to pick one favorite cuisine, it would be Asian. I just never get tired of all the endless delicious combinations of rice/noodles, vegetables, tofu/seitan and sauces. One dish i would have on a regular basis before going vegan is definately pad thai. A good friend of mine – who’s spent a lot of time in Asia – cooked it for me once and it was love at first bite. It took me a while to get it right, but I finally managed to create a vegan version reminiscent of the one I used to eat before and that – most importantly – even my boyfriend approves of 🙂
This has always been one of my favorite dishes, so I’m really happy to finally have a simple and plantbased alternative that satisfies my pad thai cravings. All these flavors together just taste like heaven.
I hope you give this a try and let me know down below how you liked it. Also feel free to tag me on Instagram with @plantyjourney & #plantyjourney 🙂
Vegan Pad Thai
- 200g (7oz.) firm tofu, cubed
- 200g (7oz.) rice noodles
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 2 handful soybean sprouts
- a few peanuts, crushed
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Soak rice noodles in warm water for 10-20min
- Fry the tofu in a pan, add spring onion (keep some for garnish) & garlic and let sautée for a bit.
- For the sauce mix tamarind paste, brown sugar, soy sauce & sriracha. Add the sauce and a splash of water to the pan as well as the drained rice noodles. Mix everything together and toss for a bit (adding water a bit at a time when needed).
- Add the bean sprouts (again, keep some for garnish) and let cook until noodles are done.
- Garnish with (roasted) peanuts, fresh bean sprouts & green onion and serve with lime wedges.
– You can use oil for frying, I just use water most of the time; you can also pre-bake the tofu in the oven to adjust the texture.
– When using no oil rice noodles tend to stick together – something I don’t mind, but just FYI ^^
– As always, feel free to adjust the ingredients/measurements to your liking.
FEEL FREE TO PIN & SHARE: