Oatmeal has quickly become one of my favorite breakfasts. It’s quick & easy to make, very versatile and super delicious to boot. Hard to imagine now that – before going vegan – I wouldn’t even consider having something like this as a meal. You live and learn, I guess ^^
I usually add a mashed banana and lots of cinnamon to my oatmeal (the toppings always vary depending on what I have on hand), but I like to switch it up sometimes and this version has been one of my go-tos lately. It tastes like a dessert, but contains only good and healthy ingredients, so there’s no need to feel guilty while enjoying this goodness 😉
If you give this recipe a try, let me know down in the comments how you like it or feel free to tag me on Instagram with @plantyjourney & #plantyjourney 🙂
Carrot Cake Oatmeal
- 1 cup (140g) oats
- 3 cups (~700ml) water
- 2 small carrots, finely grated
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup (50g) ground hazelnuts (or walnuts/almonds; I just use whatever I have on hand)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional – I like to add it whenever possible due to its health benefits)
- toppings of choice (like nuts, carrot shreds, maple syrup, …)
- Add all the ingredients – except for the ground hazelnuts – into a pot and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer until everything is soft & creamy (~15-20min.). Don’t forget to stir occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- When everything’s cooked, remove from heat and stir in the ground hazelnuts.
- Transfer into a bowl and add your desired topppings.
FEEL FREE TO PIN & SHARE