Ever since I realized that kale could be made into chips, I’ve been baking pretty much every kale I got my hands on into these crispy little bites. Unfortunately, that’s a rather rare occasion, so you can imagine my excitement when I spotted kale in the produce section of my grocery store. And it was perfect timing too – with exam week coming up and lots of studying to do, this presented the perfect opportunity to make more of my beloved kale chips as I always like to have something to snack on while studying.
They are incredibly easy to make and only a handful of ingredients are all that’s needed. I decided to make them oil-free this time and it worked out perfectly. Snacking really doesn’t get much better than that – healthy and super tasty to boot 😉
I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy this delicious & nutritous snack as much as I do. Let me know down in the comments how you liked it or tag me on Instagram with @plantyjourney & #plantyjourney so I can see how yours turned out 🙂
Crispy Cheesy Kale Chips
- 300g (~ 10oz) kale, washed & dried
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2-1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 130°C (270°F).
- Remove the stems and tear kale into smaller pieces.
- Add kale to a large mixing bowl, add lemon juice + spices and massage them into the kale leaves, so everything is evenly distributed. Mix in sesame seeds.
- Spread the kale out on a baking sheet, making sure the pieces aren’t overlapping (I used 1/3 of the kale per baking sheet).
- Bake for 10 min, then rotate the sheet and bake for another 10-15 mins until crispy.
- Let the kale chips cool for a few minutes.
– Feel free to add some oil (use less/omit lemon juice then) and/or other spices. Paprika, cinnamon or peanut butter are also excellent & yummy choices.
– During baking, open the oven door a couple of times to help release any build-up moisture. This helps with crisping.
– Towards the end of the baking keep checking as kale burns easily.
– Store leftovers in an air-tight container. I store them in a glass jar with a vacuum seal and they stay crispy for a few of days – they may keep even longer, but they never last that long here ^^
FEEL FREE TO PIN & SHARE: